The Technology Committee formulates the Strategic Technology Plan, intended to support the vision of technology at St. Michael School, and revises the plan annually.
Vision Statement for Technology
Technology will be used throughout our school as we acquire new and exciting ways to meet the needs of all of our students and to enhance student outcomes. We will strive to use the most up-to-date technology tools in order to:
• design learning environments that will reach out to a diverse learning community,
• gauge and monitor our students’ individual levels of achievement, using that information to make important decisions about our programs and our support for student learning,
• model and encourage collaboration between and among us all: teachers, students, parents, administrators and the global community.
In our classrooms, teachers will be confident and knowledgeable about the range of technology tools that can assist them in making effective choices in designing learning experiences. Supported by accessible technology and professional development, teachers will develop and share authentic and engaging learning activities that require students to hone problem-solving skills.
Through this creative and collaborative environment St. Michael School teachers will use technology to:
• promote intellectual experimentation,
• provide options that match learning experiences to the individual learner,
• promote the development of higher order thinking and creative problem solving
• redefine and transform learning tasks to create authentic learning experiences.
All students, administrators and teachers will be accountable for basic technology skills while continuing to develop their technological literacy.
As 21st century life-long learners, the students of the St. Michael Schools will:
• understand the ever-evolving ways in which technology can challenge our personal safety,
• develop literacy skills that require them to identify reliable and credible sources,
• use those sources to develop their own distinctive voices,
• demonstrate responsibility for the ethical use of technology,
• engage in the use of technology to promote participation in the global learning environment,
• distinguish and demonstrate the appropriate technological applications.
In all of our classrooms, and offices, we will use technology to enhance interactions and understand that technology will never replace our human need for each other. Fine motor skills and handwriting will still be emphasized and are considered essential to the overall development of the child.
• Technology allows us to better serve the diverse learning needs of our students.
• Skillful use of technology supports the development of process skills such as flexibility, adaptability, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and collaboration which are essential to success in our rapidly changing information age.
• Our school must prepare students to be lifelong learners who are responsible for their own learning, skilled in accessing and processing information, confident in using technological tools, able to solve complex problems alone or collaboratively, capable of being creative and innovative, and able to communicate locally, nationally, and globally.
Strategic Technology Plan Goals
- Equip St. Michael School with quality technology resources that support and enhance teaching, learning, and administrative processes.
- Provide a safe, flexible, authentic learning environment for all students.
- Engage students in meaningful curricular content through the purposeful and effective use of technology.
- Provide the training and support for teachers to become competent and confident in using the full range of technology resources to deliver effective curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
- Encourage and support innovative uses of technology.
- Assess technology plan progress annually and revise technology plan as necessary to stay current and relevant.